Food Ticker
The Business of Food
and Beverage
 
Food Ticker
The Business of Food and Beverage

Tourism Ticker

Tourism Ticker
  News   Analysis   Opinion
Friday 03 December 2021

Wellington hospo swings into action after Covid case visit

24th June 2021 By Staff Reporter | news@foodticker.co.nz | @foodtickernz

Wellington hospitality and tourism outlets swung into action as the capital moved into Covid-19 alert level 2 following a visit by a Covid-positive Australian tourist.

Around a dozen venues were visited by the man and his partner between Friday 18 June and Monday 21 June, including the popular Floriditas, Lido, Highwater Eatery and One Red Dog restaurants, as well as 4 Kings and Jack Hackett’s bars. 

The pair also visited Te Papa and stayed at the Rydges Hotel on Featherston Street, the Weta Cave shop, and Countdown at Cable Lane.

A visit on Saturday afternoon to Te Papa’s Exhibition Surrealist Art: Masterpieces from Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen could have up to 2500 people requiring to self-isolate.

The city moved to level 2 at 6pm on Wednesday restricting the size of gatherings to 100 across the region although outlets could remain open with health protocols in place. The region would stay at level 2 until 11:59pm Sunday initially, with the government to review the situation earlier that day.

Hospitality New Zealand chief executive Julie White said restaurants, bars, clubs and accommodation suppliers “have been here before and know what to do”.

“Members swung into Covid-19 alert level planning once the news of the positive Covid-19 case came through. Some operators have shut their doors and begin deep cleaning protocols while sending staff home,” White said. 

“Many hospitality and accommodation operators will experience immediate cancellations. Members have begun to feedback that events and conferences for next week are being cancelled.”

White said it was important to try and curb any potential outbreaks so the alert level 2 could be lifted on Sunday.

“We must do everything we can to keep the industry open including the trans-Tasman bubble. That means everyone in the community must be following Level 2 instructions around gatherings, wearing masks, and using the contact tracing app.”

Covid-19 response minister Chris Hipkins said yesterday that the Covid case “had extensive potential exposure in the Wellington region”.

“The person was likely to have been infected before they travelled to New Zealand,” he said.

The infected person, who is believed to have been infected before his trip to Wellington, worked in the health industry in Sydney and an epidemiological link was expected to be found with the current Bondi cluster.

Updated information on locations of interest can be found here.

 

 


Related Articles